Monday, February 25, 2013

Respect

Random thought for the day.  How do you teach a student what Respect looks like?? And not just respect for learning, but how they talk to others and how they talk to an adult?  I know you have to shoow respect before someone will give it to you, and you have to teach respect before you will get any.  But how can you show and teach a child how to be respectful when they come from a home where there is no respect. How do you teach a child that there are rules at home that are different from school rules, and that school expects more from you then people at home?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have the answers, but this is a topic that I set up during the first week of school to let students know how I feel about certain topics (set expectations verbally and post them around the room); I set punishments for what will happen (usually lunch detention or a Minor Incident Referral), and explain to them that my classroom is not a democracy. What I say goes, and if I say "shut-up" is a phrase that we don't say to each other; calling someone "retarded" or another derogatory term will never be tolerated, and talking back to the teacher is not allowed. Students who understand the rules usually help me to enforce the rules by repeating, "You know you can't/you're not supposed to say that in Mrs. A-W's class. I have to be consistent with my follow-through and punishments. It turns more from a statement of respect to a standard that I uphold. Respect can be vague, but rules, expectations, and consequences can be clear, measurable, observable, and therefore, enforceable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn, I agree that respect is something that I to set up at the begining of the year. It was just a random thought because the last two/three weeks parents have been calling telling us that there child is being "bulled" by another student in class however when you talk to students (even the one's being "bulled") they are always just messing around. This is what I have issues with because I will say that there is no such thing as just messing around when it comes to speaking to someone but just messing around does not get back to parents and administration can only do so much when it is all coming from parents.

    ReplyDelete